Science Fiction and Fantasy
Christian – Inspirational
*** Rosanne is booking for October 2017 ***
On every job, Rosanne Catalano offers breadth and depth of knowledge as well as a passion for her work.
She will be your ideal reader, looking at your work from the consumer’s point of view and letting you know exactly how to appeal to your market. Thanks to her experience sorting submissions for a publishing house, she can let you know how a publisher sees your manuscript—and how to present your work in its best light.
Rosanne excels at working in your style. She can make your prose stronger, more active and more grammatical while maintaining the unique voice that you have created. She always strives to make the book all yours, only better!
Rosanne Catalano brings a lifetime of experience to every project. An avid reader since the age of four, she began to study the art of writing six years later and continued her training in creative and expository writing over twenty-five years, including courses with Johns Hopkins University.
In college, Rosanne was chosen by the faculty to be one of ten students allowed to tutor their peers on written work. This honor included a year of training in the art of teaching grammar and style, rather than just correcting it. Rosanne also has had the benefit of eight years experience in diverse office environments (a performing arts center, a medical manufacturer, an insurance company and a church, among others), giving her a wide range of knowledge and an understanding of many fields.
Since then, she has worked as a professional freelance editor for nearly ten years.
Rosanne also offers professional-level knowledge of theater and related terms, holds the rank of black belt in wado ryu karatedo, and has a strong background in languages, including study of Latin (five years) and French (four years) and some familiarity with Anglo-Saxon, Middle English, Welsh and Japanese.
Presubmission Editing focusing on fantasy, science-fiction, young adult, young adult fantasy, middle grade fantasy, historical fantasy, Christian novels for all ages, Christian fantasy and more, including every level of editing from proofreading to copyediting and developmental editing. Projects include:
- Guardians of the Grimoire, Natasha Slight, Young Adult Fantasy
- Allie’s Angel, Sommy Hamm, Young Adult Christian Fantasy
- “When Is My Mommy Coming Back?” Kathy Unger, Children’s Book
- Scotch Sours and the Poisonmaster’s Chalice, Brody Saunders, Middle Grade Fantasy
- A Mother’s Journey, Jennifer Scalise, Memoir
- “In Moderation,” Antonio Braccioforte, Children’s Book
- “Three Visitors,” Shawn Andrews, Short Story
- A Fair Soldier, Laura Stolmeier, Historical Fiction
- Out of Egypt, Donna Bassette, Middle Grade Christian Fantasy
- Traveler’s Rest, Sue Carter Stout, Adult Christian Novel
- Talking to Water, John Tkac, Middle Grade Fantasy
- Scotch Sours and the Thieves’ Underground, Brody Saunders, Middle Grade Historical Fantasy
- Servant of the Lich, Chris Wilmsmeyer, Fantasy
- Hellandback Teens: Be Careful What You Wish For, Laura Stolmeier, Middle Grade Fantasy
- Hellandback Teens: Christmas Vacation, Laura Stolmeier, Middle Grade Fantasy
- Glass Girl, Laura Anderson Kirk, Young Adult Novel
- “Rylee’s Identity,” Brandi Renfroe, Christian Children’s Book
- The Rise of the Prince, M.G. Buehrlen, Young Adult Fantasy
- Mermaid Tea, Cathy Finn, Middle Grade Fantasy
- “The Baby Who Wouldn’t Say Mama,” Maggi Miller, Picture Book
- Letting the Easy Do Its Thing, Rafael Alvarez, Fictionalized Memoir
- Heavenly Assignments, Kim Flewellen, Christian Young Adult Fantasy
- Asulon, Bill McGrath, Fantasy Novel, Christian
- *The Ghosts of Lone Jack, Lance Noel, Middle Grade Historical Fiction, Spinning Moon Press, 2008
- "Cloud Country", Noah Klocek, Children's Story
- "The Duel", A.F. vonWening, Adult Short Fiction
- I, Bully, Josepha Kekedi, Young Adult Novel
- The Master's Craftsman, Carole Towriss, Young Adult Novel, Christian
- "Dream Catcher", Cindy Pitta, Legend
- Five Days, David Hitchner, Young Adult Novel
- Why Is Crater Lake So Blue?, Michael LaLumiere, Stagger Lee Books, 2007, Adult Fiction
- *Whispers From the Bay, John Tkac, Young Adult Fantasy, Southeast Books, 2008
- Runaway Lies, Sarah Tregay, Young Adult Novel
- "Grandmother Clock and the Moondrops," Estelle Condra, Children's Story
- "When the Hurricane Comes," Kathy Unger, Children's Story
- Jacy Meets Betsy, Carol Edwards, Majestic Publishing, LLC, 2006, Children's Story, Christian
- Touch, Sarah Tregay, Young Adult Novel
- Adventures of the Book Battling Kids, Richard Brian Harvell, Waterwood Publishing Group, 2006, Young Adult Novel, Fantasy
- "Potato Tall Tale," Estelle Condra, Children's Story
- Evolutionary Theory for Christians, Richard Barker, Inspirational
- The House of the Jaguar, C. Charis Coyle, Mystecha, 2006, Young Adult Novel, Fantasy
- "Lightman," Estelle Condra, Children's Story
- "Celina Finds a Dog," Estelle Condra, Children's Story
- Journal of Goo-shu, Raymond Kilsby, Young Adult Novel
- "Gidden the Small," Greg Corte, Children's Story
- "Fever," Estelle Condra, Short story
- New Mage, Jim Skretteberg, Young Adult Novel, Fantasy
- "Bertha's Heaven," Estelle Condra, Short story
- Never Death, Greg Hill, Horror Novel
- "Southern Cross," Estelle Condra, Short story
- Cry of Angels, Clifton Gilliam, Christian Scifi Novel
- *Runt the Brave, Daniel Schwabauer, Clear Water Press, 2004, Young Adult Novel, Fantasy
- Death of Innocents, Clifton Gilliam, Christian Scifi Novel
- Anne of Green Gables, L. M. Montgomery, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Heidi, Johanna Spyri, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- White Fang, Jack London, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Kate Douglas Wiggins, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Pollyanna, Eleanor Porter, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Pinocchio, Carlo Collodi, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Book
- Guideposts for the Spirit: Stories of Friendship, Ideals Books, 2003, Compilation, Christian
- "King George and the Ducky," Dalmatian Press, 2003, Children's Story
(plus assorted VeggieTales and Scooby-Doo books)
- My Favorite Bible Storybook for Early Readers, Carol Larsen, Dalmatian Press, 2003, Christian
Copyeditor, Dalmatian Press Adapted Classics, My Favorite Bible Storybook for Toddlers, the Home Learning Tools Series and various Coloring and Activity Books for major licenses;
Author biographies for Dalmatian Press Adapted Classics, Scooby–Doo Books to Color, Power Rangers Wild Force Never Give Up, VeggieTales Coloring and Activity Books, Strawberry Shortcake Coloring and Activity Books
Final Editor for the Shakespearean Criticism series, (ten entries), Nineteenth Century Literary Criticism (four entries), Literary Criticism 1400–1800 (four entries), Feminism in Literature (five entries)
Ideals Publications, Ideals Children's Books and Candy Cane Press – Worked as copyeditor for several children's books and adult compilations.
From These Roots Worked as assistant editor of the Reformed/Presbyterian Edition of Cook Ministries' Bible–In–Life curriculum, revised, edited, wrote, and consulted on content for quarterly teacher's manual.
First Presbyterian Church, Nashville, in Children's Education and Congregational Care for over two years. Duties included desktop publishing.
Medical Device Technologies. As senior customers service representative, gained extensive technical knowledge, assisted customers, maintained and ran reports from database with over 3,000 customers, handled international orders up to $100,000, and trained new employees in all these areas.
Lenfest Center for Performing Arts. Ran box office for entire season, filling subscriptions to series, developing and maintaining a subscription database, providing customer service and accounting for over thirty shows.
Camp Arrowhead. As a counselor, I took complete responsibility for up to ten campers (eight to fifteen years old) at outdoor Episcopal summer camp. Planned activities, maintained safety, and taught outdoor living.
Washington & Lee University, Lexington, VA, June 1994
Bachelor of Arts with majors in English and Theater, magna cum laude
Honors Thesis: Narrative Challenges to the Hero in Celtic Myth and Modern Fantasy
Writing Center Tutor, Washington & Lee University, 1993–94
One of ten students chosen by the faculty and paid to tutor peers in creative and expository writing. Training focused on teaching the writing process as well as correcting work.
Johns Hopkins University CTY Award, 1985
Perfect score, Test of Standard Written English. Three college–level writing courses in 1985–87.
“What an amazing journey it was to work with you, Rosanne! You helped me grow as a writer, and guided me along with such insightful tips. You helped me develop the story I envisioned, allowing my author voice to develop in its own way. You have a passion for what you do and it shows in your feedback. I look forward to working with you on my next project.”
Natasha Slight, Guardians of the Grimoire.
"I couldn't be happier than I am with Rosanne. She was the perfect fit to edit my book, and amazingly insightful."
"Working with Rosanne was a pleasure from beginning to end. Her editing hit the mark and helped me tremendously. She went above and beyond. I finished my first novel and I’m planning on consulting Rosanne earlier on the second book."
--Sue Carter Stout
"This edit was far more than I could have asked for. It is smart, insightful, and forward, but never loses sight of the story. In an old Walt Disney term, it 'pluses' the story. Thank you so much."
--Noah Klocek, Cloud Country
"I cannot say enough about how great working with you was. You read my work, could see my intent and did not try to comprise its integrity. Your willingness to not get in the way of the story and your professionalism helped make my book just as I had envisioned it! I would highly recommend you to anyone that has a special piece of work needing a special editor. Again, thanks!"
--Cindy Pitta, Dream Catcher
"Your work has not only stood up to scrutiny, but I know that without your enlightenment I would have never gotten to where I am today."
--John Tkac, Whispers from the Bay
"You did a terrific job editing my manuscript. Your comments were insightful and in many places pointed to problems I would not have discovered on my own, no matter how many rewrites I did. Also, you finished the job on time. I appreciate your professionalism and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend you to others."
--Daniel Schwabauer, Runt the Brave (Clearwater Press, 2004, Ben Franklin Award, 2005)
"I am very happy with your editing. Even though I don't always agree with your comments, I can tell that you are a critical thinker. The grammatical changes were just what I needed as well. I was also very impressed with your intelligence (i.e. the genetics, the gull-wing, etc.). YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF!!"
--Clif Gilliam, Death of Innocents and Cry of Angels
"I think it's amazing how much difference the editing makes to the feel of the story."
--Jim Skretteberg, New Mage
"I'm so happy you finished the work on time, and it looks so good and so well edited. I really appreciate your suggestions and the help with the developmental editing. I thank you again for helping me. You did a superb job! I'm so grateful. I have no regrets for choosing you."
--Jay Kedal, I, Bully
"Rosanne, you are truly amazing! Your work is just outstanding, and I couldn’t have chosen a better person to edit my book. I was so excited to read the finished product and your recommendations were right on point." Thank you, Kim Flewellen
"Rosanne is not only a gifted editor, she also provides a wealth of topical knowledge, which made her my novel’s secret weapon. My partnership with Rosanne helped me become the writer I wanted to be. I thought I was pretty good before I met her. Ha! Nowhere close. Now I not only have an editor in my corner for all my future endeavors, but I’ve made a valuable friend. Thanks, Rosanne!" MG Buehrlen